Importance of annual heating system service made clear by recent boiler explosion Reply

A boiler explosion in Springfield is a stark reminder of the importance of servicing your boiler or furnace annually.

A boiler explosion in Springfield is a stark reminder of the importance of servicing your boiler or furnace annually.

Imagine that you are enjoying your Saturday morning in your home when an explosion from your basement knocks your house off of its foundation. This is what happened to a Springfield homeowner over the weekend and is a stark reminder of the importance of having your furnace or boiler serviced every year.

According to the Masslive.com article, the Springfield Fire Commissioner, “characterized the explosion as an ‘over-pressurization’ of a gas-powered boiler that was not gas-related.”

Annual service to a furnace or boiler is a good idea to keep not only safe, but in good condition so that it lasts longer. It is a relatively small expense compared to the cost of a replacement, and a much smaller than the expense of a new home.

Many home owners have service contracts with the company that delivers their fuel.

There are also things that you can do to help your furnace last. If you have a forced air furnace, for example, you can change your air filter every three months. When they are clogged, it doesn’t only affect the air quality in your home, it also forces your furnace to work harder.

Turning down the thermostat too far when you are not home can also reduce the life of your boiler or furnace because it will have to work harder to get the temperature in your home to a comfortable level. It also needs to burn more fuel, so you may save money by not turning the thermostat down too low.

And don’t forget to check your carbon monoxide detectors. Each home should have one on every living level. If you have hardwired smoke detectors, you could replace some of them with combination carbon monoxide/smoke detectors with voice commands. They will alert you with a voice command whether there is a fire or a carbon monoxide danger. Having such detection hardwired with battery backup is safer than a simple battery operated detector, but if you don’t have a hardwired smoke-detector system, check those batteries regularly.

It is also important to note that the current detector guidelines state that smoke detectors should not be more than 10 years old and carbon monoxide detectors should not be more than 5 years old.

If you are planning on buying or selling a home in the Pioneer Valley, make your first call to Michael Seward at 413-531-7129. Michael Seward is a Certified Residential Specialist, a Certified Buyers Agent, a Certified Loss Mitigation Specialist, a Certified New Homes Specialist, and Green designee of the National Association of REALTORS®.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s